Dr. Sears sites these unsafe co-sleeping practices as potentially fatal:
- DO NOT co-sleep while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or while exhausted from sleep deprivation, which may diminish your sensitivity to your baby
- DO NOT co-sleep if you are extremely obese
- DO NOT sleep in garments with excessive strings or ribbons that could your child could get tangled in, and for the same reason, tie your hair back if it is very long
- DO NOT over-bundled/cover the child
- DO NOT co-sleep on a very cushiony surface, such as on a couch, or in a waterbed
All infant fatalities are beyond sad, especially those that are preventable, and what we need more than shocking propaganda and inaccurate billboards is fact-based research and education. I hope Milwaukee takes the advice of thousands who are demanding a recall of the campaign (check out the Change.org petition
), and that no communities follow in their faltering footsteps.